Knowledge Management System free asp.net project with source codesThis web application is aimed to allow students in a college or employees in an office to share there knowledge by uploading documents such as PDFs, PPTs etc. The following are major activities in this application.
- User registration
- Change password
- Forgot password
- Adding a post
- Editing and deleting posts
- Searching for posts
- Providing rating for an existing post
- Viewing details of a post and downloading it
Technologies and Products Used
- ASP.NET 2.0
- C# language
- Visual Studio.NET 2005
- SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
- Login controls
- Stored procedures
- Site navigation - Treeview, Sitemap etc.
- Master pages and Themes
- Gridview and SqlDataSource controls
Steps to download, deploy and run this projectThe following are the steps to related to be taken to run the existing part of the application. This project makes use of membership feature of ASP.NET.So, we have to configure the website using ASP.NET Configuration tool as explained below.
- Download kms.zip and unzip it into any directory in your system. For example, if you extract to c:\ then it will create a directory c:\kms. The download contains all asp.net pages but it has NO DATABASE. We have to create database objects using ASP.NET configuration tool as well as manually.
- Open Visual Studio.NET 2005 or Visual Web Developer 2005.
- Open the project from the directory into which you extracted project.For example, c:\kms
- Select Website->ASP.NET Configuration option
- Select Security tab
- Select Use the security Setup Wizard to configure security step by step.
- Select From Internet option in Step 2
- Create a new user in Step 5
- Click on Next button in the remaining screens and finally click on Finish.
- It create a database called ASPNETDB.MDF with required tables and other database components
- Open the database in Server explorer
or Database Explorer and create tables - KMS_CATEGORIES and KMS_POSTS.
The structure is shown in the picture below. ASPNET_USERS table
is already created by ASP.NET. It is shown
as it is parent table for KMS_POSTS.
Create the following stored procedure in the database.
CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.RecentTenPosts AS select top 10 pid, title, description, cid, cname,filename, case filename when '' then null else ltrim(str(pid,5) + '_' + filename) end as PhysicalFilename, postedon, postedby , username, Rating = (excellent * 5 + good * 4 + average * 2 + poor * 1) / case excellent + good + average + poor when 0 then 1 else excellent + good + average + poor end from kms_posts p inner join kms_categories c on p.category = c.cid inner join aspnet_users u on p.postedby = u.userid order by pid desc
- Goto Solution Explorer and make login.aspx the startup page.
- Run project from Visual Studio.NET 2005 or Visual Web Developer 2005.
- You should see login.aspx page.