BriefCase free asp.net project with source codesThis application allows registered users to upload files into server, so that they can access them from anywhere. It allows users to create folders and add files to folders. This resembles Yahoo Briefcase.
This project is developed using ASP.NET 2.0, SQL Server 2005 express edition, CMail Server, Visual Web Developer Express Edition. The language used for coding is C#. The following topics of ASP.NET 2.0 are used in this application:
- Data sources
- Site navigation controls like TreeView and SiteMapPath
- GridView, DetailsView, DataList etc.
- Themes with skin and stylesheet and master page
- Security to allow access to only to authenticated users
- Web.sitemap to provide site map
- Fileupload control
- Stored procedures
- web.cofig with ConnectionString and Location tags (apart from security tags)
- Session variable to keep track of current user
Steps to download and run the project
- Download briefcase.ZIP and unzip it into any directory in your system. (For example if you extract to d:\ then it will create a directory d:\briefcase)
- Open Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition or Visual Studio.NET 2005.
- Open the project from the directory into which you extracted project.For example, d:\briefcase
- Select Website -> ASP.NET Configuration
- In ASP.NET Web site adminstration tool select Security Tab
- Click on Use the security Setup Wizard to configure security step by step
- Click on Next in step 1
- Select From the internet in step2 and click on Next
- Click Next in step3 and step4 to go to step5
- Provide details of new users
- In step6 the settings are already configured as we have a preconfigured web.config file in the project.
- Click on Next and then on Finish.
- At this stage you must see ASPNETDB.MDF in App_Data folder of your project.
- ASPNETDB.MDF contains ASPNET_USERS table and other tables. So, we still need to create FOLDERS and FILES tables.
- Create the stored procedure as shown below:
- Goto Solution Explorer and make login.aspx the startup page.
- Run project from VWD 2005 Express Edition.
- You should see login.aspx page.
CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.AddFolder ( @fname varchar(50), @fdesc varchar(300), @userid uniqueidentifier ) AS insert into folders (fname,fdesc,userid,createdon) values (@fname,@fdesc,@userid,getdate())